Monday, May 30, 2011

Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama (Whaleman's Sepia) First Impressions Review

A few of my pens ran out of ink, so I felt compelled to ink a pen this morning. I decided to use an ink that I haven't tried before, and thought I'd do something different this time around. Instead of doing a thorough review, I decided to do a "first impressions" instead. I got the idea from the Goulet's "Ink Nouveau" and liked it (hopefully they won't mind).

I had a penpal use this ink in a letter to me a while back and it turned out red. I was puzzled, because from reviews I've seen, it looked more like a dark gray with a small hint of brown. In my review, I found it more towards the latter. I know that according to Nathan (of Noodler's fame) it's supposed to turn red when exposed to bleach, but I don't believe my penpal did that. 

Anyways, here's the "review":
Click to Enlarge


This ink is available exclusively through Goulet Pens. I received this as a 2ml sample from their Ink Drop a few months back. I paid for the ink myself, and am not endorsed by or affiliated with them in any way.

This ink was difficult to scan, and it didn't really turn out as well as it looks in person. In person, it looks more like a grayish brown (like as I mentioned, a vintage document with faded black ink). In the scan, it just looks dark gray. 


-Derek (ThirdeYe)

6 comments:

  1. Hmm it does look grayish-brown to me from your sample. I have to say, I was expecting a hint of burgundy in it, or more red at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a bad color. I will have to go compare this with the Lexington Grey at the Swab Shop. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Economy Pens - I have some Lexington Gray. Would you like me to do a small comparison? I can ink up a pen with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peninkcillin - I have seen mixed results. I was expecting some red too, but I'm glad it turned out like it did. I think the color is awesome, but I'd like to try it in a wetter pen next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ThirdeYe - Yes, I would very much like to see a mini review of how you compare the two. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've inked my EF Safari with Lexington Gray and I'll try to put up a comparison when I get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete